Sunday, April 3, 2011

I have found the Mother of all Pancakes- City Diner; Metarie, LA

Avatar with big-ass pancake.

Don't you just love finding that little hole-in-the-wall place to eat where the food is really good, the service is great and the servings are plenty?

Well my friends, not only have I found that place, but they serve BIG ASS PANCAKES the size of Pizza pies!!!

Don't look at me like that. I'm serious. The place is called CITY DINER and its located in Metarie, Louisiana- off interstate 10.


Big-ass box for big-ass pancake
With an affordable menu with everything from FireCracker Shrimp Po-Boys to Crab Cakes Benedict, this covert culinary gem is not your average late-night greasy spoon, but a friendly haven of flavor, good times and strong fuckin' coffee.

Formerly a vacant Denny's, this family-owned Diner made the "Best Of Gambit 2009" list as an affordable place to feed the family. It definitely would have won in the "Big-ass food" category.

The B.A.P.'s (Big Ass Pancakes) that you see in these photos are actually ONE ORDER of the "Short Stack".  After I placed my order, the waiter asked me in a cautionary tone; "Uh...are you sure you want the short stack?"

What he didn't know is that I stopped in late last night and had an awesome "Striver's Delight" (a variation of Chicken & Waffles with chicken tenders and a huge Belgian Waffle; named after the "Striver's Row" neighborhood in Harlem New York) and happened to see customers at another table getting B.A.P.'s the size of hubcaps on a Segway.

"Hell Yeah!", I exclaimed, wiping a drop of drool from my lip corner, "Bring it, son!".

Ten minutes later my jaw dropped as the massive meal was sat in front of me-hanging off my plate, laughing at me.

"Ha ha. Go ahead and TRY to finish me, you silly man. I own you."


Pssshaw. Ain't that much syrup in the world. Big-ass box, Please?

This is a great place to eat that's off-the-beaten-path and worth every penny.
Open daily from 9am to 2am. Tip Generously.


CITY DINER'S WEBSITE