Saturday, January 8, 2011

Acts of kindness; NOLA'S secret formula for healing, happy life

I read some statistic recently about "the best place in the U.S. to live happy" and New Orleans was #2 under Hawaii. After my first year here (from Harlem, NY) I'm starting to think that this "Happy" condition  is connected to benevolent gestures of kindness. If you are hungry, you will find food. If you are without clothing, you will be clothed. People engage in charities down here like people join gym memberships where I'm from. 

My friend Kevin Polk is program director for The NEW ORLEANS FURNITURE BANK (NOLAFB.org) a non-profit organization that recycles used furniture to help families who are living on the floor in the Greater New Orleans area. I went to volunteer my services (and what's left of my back) to the mid-city location and had a ball helping people "get up off the floor" as Kevin puts it. You can see his work here: ON YOUTUBE

Coming from cold and often lonely New York City life, I can appreciate a warm greeting or a firm handshake. You never miss it until it's gone. So meeting new friends here who exhibit a genuine sense of giving and sharing is a welcome change and I am moved to talk about it.


Ana aka "Cookie" and Ken aka "Smiley The Clown" is part of CHEEP UP MISSIONS, a non-profit organization that transports medical supplies and other materials for disaster relief to countries around the world.


Child care facility BOYSTOWN OF NEW ORLEANS had a merry Christmas when they got a surprise visit from New Orleans band THE MUMBLES at their Christmas party.


Emerging multimedia studio COUNTERPOINT PRODUCTIONS in Algiers Point is developing a music production program for middle schoolers called "BEATSCHOOL", where students learn how to program music with state of the art loop/beat creation software.


With these kinds of things happening around me, I am beginning to understand  how helping others improves the quality of life here in New Orleans. Now, excuse me while I go help lift a sofa.


CHEER UP MISSIONS


BOYSTOWN of NEW ORLEANS


COUNTERPOINT PRODUCTIONS